• Maine Yankee was the first commercial nuclear power plant in United States to be fully decommissioned with all buildings removed.
• The $500 million decommissioning marked the first use of explosives to safely demolish a containment building.
• Approximately 450 million pounds of waste were safely removed by rail, truck and barge. Fuel rods remain in canisters.
• Workers involved in the plant’s decommissioning received less than half the NRC’s allowable radiological dose limit.
• 200 acres of property will be used for conservation and environmental education; 400 acres is being used for economic development.
•167-acre site released for unrestricted use on Monday remains off limits to the public because of security for storage facility on adjacent land.
Source: Maine Yankee