MINOT — A man who suffered a partial amputation of his hand in a fireworks accident was being treated at a Lewiston hospital late Wednesday.
Police and medical crews were sent to Star Drive shortly after 10 p.m. Police said the victim, in his 60s, was injured while handling fireworks as part of a New Year’s Eve celebration.
Maine State Police and the state fire marshal’s office were investigating the matter later Wednesday night. A sergeant from the fire marshal’s office said the man had been handling a reloadable mortar shell when it blew up in his hand.
No one else was hurt. The victim was in surgery late Wednesday night at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston.
Star Drive is a short street with a loop that runs off Millett Road, between Route 124 and Pottle Hill Road.
An investigator said fireworks injuries are common on New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July. Last year, three people from Lisbon alone were hurt in mishaps.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.