We are not trying to trivialize Mother’s Day. Well, OK, we’ll admit to trying to trivia-ize the holiday, which is Sunday, May 14.
In an effort to keep things light for Mom on Mother’s Day (you’d better not let her do the dishes, gentlemen), we concocted a special, entertainment-related trivia quiz about moms. We mined old TV shows, songs and films for maternal material.
Some of the questions are gimmes, some are toughies.
Whatever you do, let Mom win.
1. Who played the Beaver’s mother on “Leave it to Beaver,” the quintessential ’50s TV show?
A. June Lockhart
B. Barbara Billingsley
C. Diane Brewster
D. Martha Raye
2. Who wrote and sang the ’70s song “Mother?” It included the lyrics: “Mother, you had me, but I never had you.”
A. Ozzy Osbourne
B. Jimmy Buffett
C. John Lennon
D. Ray Davies
3. Which scary movie contains the following famous quote: ¡”Mother! Blood!”?
A. “Mommie Dearest”
C. “The Wall”
4. Opie Taylor had his Aunt Bee – one of the great mother figures of the 20th century – on “The AndyGriffith Show.” What happened to Opie’s birth mother?
A. She ran off with a trucker.
B. She was deported.
C. She died – though the show never explained exactly how.
D. She was killed in a car accident while visiting family near Mars Hill, N.C.
5. Sylvester Stallone has committed some celluloid bungles in his time “Cobra,” anyone?). One of his most infamous clunkers was a 1992 comedy called “Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot.”¨ It’s so bad it’s good. Who played Sly’s pistol-packin’ mama?
A. Clara “Where¡¦s the Beef?” Peller
B. Jaye P. Morgan
C. Ruth Gordon
D. Estelle Getty
6. “That’¦s My Mama,” one of the better sitcoms from the ‘¦70s, featured an all-black cast. Who played the eponymous mama?
A. Nell Carter
B. Theresa Merritt
C. LaWanda Page
D. Frances E. Williams
7. “My Mother the Car,” one of the dumber sitcoms from the ¡’60s, featured Dick Van Dyke’s dorky brother as a guy whose mom is reincarnated as an antique automobile. What movie actress provided the voice of the talking car?
A. Joan Blondell
B. Miriam Hopkins
C. Ann Sothern
D. Jane Wyman
8. Who were the first mother and daughter to ever be nominated for Oscars in the same year?
A. Diane Ladd and Laura Dern
B. Blythe Danner and Gwyneth Paltrow
C. Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson
D. Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli
9. Mike Nesmith’s mom invented a famous office product that made her famous. Can you name it? Oh, yeah, Mike Nesmith was the bass player for the Monkees. The one with the silly toque.
A. Liquid Paper
B. Reusable typewriter ribbon
C. Post-it Notes
D. Crazy Glue
10. CNN newscaster Anderson Cooper was born to a famous mother. What’s her name?
A. Veronica “Rocky” Balfe
B. Bette Davis
C. Gloria Vanderbilt
D. Alice Cooper
11. The Rolling Stones certainly have a thing for mothers in their music. Which ofthe following mother-related tunes is not a real song by the Stones?
A. “Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby? (Standing in the Shadows)”
B. “Crazy Mama”
C. “Mother’s Little Helper”
D. “Real Mother For You”
12. Which of the following is not the real name of a nationally known rock band?
A. The Mothers of Invention
B. Mother’s Finest
C. Animal Mother
D. Mother Love Bone
13. James Cagney played a sociopathic, mother-obsessed gangster in what 1949 classic crime film? Hint: It ends with him standing atop an exploding oil refinery screaming, “Top of the world, Ma.”
A. “Bloody Mama”
B. “White Heat”
C. “Public Enemy”
D. “Each Dawn I Die”
14. Donna Reed played the too-good-to-be-true mom and housewife on “The Donna Reed Show” in the squeaky clean ’50s. She’s probably better known to the world these days as the character Mary Hatch Bailey from which of the following films?
A. “The Magnificent Ambersons”
B. “Beetle Bailey”
C. “It’s A Wonderful Life”
D. “From Here to Eternity”
15. Who played bank robber, gang leader Ma Barker in “Bloody Mama” (1970)?
A. Shirley Booth
B. Shirley Jones
C. Shelley Winters
D. Shirley Temple
16. HAL was the name of the computer in “2001: A Space Odyssey.” Mother was the name of the spaceship computer in another famous sci-fi film. Can you name the movie?
B. “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan”
C. “Star Wars”
17. She’s our favorite TV mom with blue hair and a yellow complexion. What was Marge Simpson’s maiden name?
18. Phylicia Rashad played the level-headed, working mom on the ’80s smash-hit sitcom “The Cosby Show.” What was her character’s profession?
D. Magazine editor
19. Amanda Wingfield was the overly protective mom and faded Southern belle in “The Glass Menagerie,” the play that put Tennessee Williams on the map. The part has been played by such actresses as Joanne Woodward and Katharine Hepburn. Who originated the classic Williams role on stage in Chicago and New York?
A. Maureen Stapleton
B. Helen Hayes
C. Gertrude Lawrence
D. Laurette Taylor
20. What former movie star played the matriarch Victoria Barkley on TV’¦s “The Big Valley” in the late ‘¦60s?
A. Joan Crawford
B. Barbara Stanwyck
C. Miriam Hopkins
D. Gloria Swanson
21.”Big Bad Mama” (1974) is a gleefully trashy rip-off of “Bonnie & Clyde” that stars Angie Dickinson as a bank-robbing¦, machine-gun toting mother of two hot daughters. It also includes risque scenes of Dickinson with a well-known TV actor. Who played her love interest?
B. Leonard Nimoy
C. Robert Conrad
D. Robert Young
22. Who played Albert Brooks’ mama in the comedy “Mother”(1996), the story of a twice-divorced man who moves in with his widowed mom to find out why his relationships with women all end ugly?
A. Michael Learned
B. Debbie Reynolds
C. Jane Russell
D. Mary Martin
23. Besides introducing the mullet hairdo to America, Florence Henderson starred as one of television’s first depictions of a mom raising a blended family as Carol Brady on “The Brady Bunch.” Whatever happened to Carol’s first hubbie, Mr. Martin?
A. His space craft exploded on re-entry in the Earth’s atmosphere.
B. He was a deadbeat dad who simply left his wife and daughters one day.
C. He was killed in a big-game hunting accident.
D. His sailboat, “The Marcia,” was reported missing at sea and his body was never found.
24. Can you match the artist with the correct offbeat mother song?
1. Frank Zappa
3. Neil Young
4. Fountains of Wayne
A. “Tie Your Mother Down”
B. “Motorcycle Mama”
C. “My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama”
D. “Stacy’s Mom (Has Got It Goin’ On)”
25. And you thought your mom acted like a witch. Elizabeth Montgomery played Samantha Stephens, the charming housewitch and mother in TV’s “Bewitched.” She had two children on the show. The first and most famous was Tabitha. What was Samantha’s son’s name?
26. “Your Mother Should Know” was a nostalgic song sung by the Beatles. Which Beatle sang lead vocals on the tune?
27.”Throw Mama From the Train” (1987) was a dark comedy featuring the late Anne Ramsay as the mother from hell. Who played her dopey, failed-writer son?
A. Robin Williams
B. Danny DeVito
C. Billy Crystal
D. Christopher Lloyd
28. Joan Crawford won her only Oscar playing a hard-working, sacrificing mother who will do anything for her ungrateful, rotten daughter. What was the name of the movie?
A. “Mrs. Miniver”
B. “Stella Dallas”
C. “Mrs. Dalloway”
D. “Mildred Pierce”
29. What nickname does monster mom Lily Munster have for her husband, Herman?
30. Doris Roberts played the classic TV mom Marie Barone on “Everybody Loves Raymond.” Roberts was a regular on what other popular show?
B. “Remington Steele”
C. “L.A. Law”
D. “Happy Days”
ANSWERS: 1. B.; 2. C.; 3. D.; 4. C.; 5. D.; 6. B.; 7. C.; 8. A. (They were nominated for “Rambling Rose” in 1991.); 9. A .; 10. C.; 11. D. (It was a song by Johnny “Guitar” Watson.); 12. C. (He wass a character in “Full Metal Jacket.”) 13. B.; 14. C.;15. C.; 16. A .; 17. D.; 18. C.; 19. D.; 20. B.; 21. A .; 22. B.; 23. B.; 24. A goes with 2 (Queen). B goes with 3 (Neil Young). C goes with 1 (Frank Zappa). D goes with Fountains of Wayne.; 25. D.; 26. B.; 27. B.; 28. D.; 29. A .; 30. B.
“Everybody Loves Raymond”
“The Brady Bunch”
“The Cosby Show”
“Big Bad Mama”
“Leave it toBeaver”
“That¡¦s My Mama”
“My Mother the Car”