Meals on Wheels seeking drivers


Dear Sun Spots: Seniors Plus is desperately seeking drivers for the Meals on Wheels program here in the Lewiston-Auburn area. This includes committing to delivering meals to homebound older adults in the Lewiston/Auburn area. The routes are usually about 90 minutes and in the mornings. You can choose the days of the week that you have your route. It could be one day a week or more. We would be delighted with any commitment to help serve our area seniors. Seniors Plus reimburses mileage, and you have the opportunity to serve homebound older adults, and give back to your community! For more information, please contact Trudy Hamilton, Volunteer Manager for SeniorsPlus at 795-4010 or via e-mail at [email protected] Thank you. – Trudy Hamilton, Lewiston.

Dear Sun Spots: I read a June 20 article regarding the “Remember the Maine” brought before the Lewiston City Council. The article noted that the L & A Veterans Council was awarded $5,000 toward the $10,000 monument and that the Veterans Council was looking for donations to help raise the rest. No address was provided.

I’d like to help those interested in donating.

We are hoping to build a monument to the USS Maine in Veterans Park. The USS Maine was sunk in Havana Harbor on Feb. 15, 1898, at the outset of the Spanish American War. The monument would include a shell from the ship, recovered from the harbor and stored in Lewiston City Hall. We hope to have the monument finished by the end of September.

Any donations should be made out and mailed to the L & A Veterans Council, 53 Oxbow Drive, Lewiston, ME 04240-2137 with a notation “USS Maine Monument.”

Thank you for your articles and the great responses received from them. Everybody seems to read Sun Spots. – Gerry N. Cain, treasurer, L & A Veterans Council, Lewiston.

Dear Sun Spots: Once a year or so there is a list provided by the State of Maine for unclaimed funds.

Does Massachusetts have a similar list? If so, how can I find out if I have unclaimed funds there. I lived there 25 years ago. Is there a way to find out if I have unclaimed funds in states where I use to live? Thanks. – A Peru reader.

Answer: According to the Massachusetts Abandoned Property Division Web site, and the Massachusetts Abandoned Property Laws, most financial assets that have been inactive for more than three years are declared “abandoned” and turned over to the Commonwealth.

There is no time limit for filing a claim.

Contact: Department of the State Treasurer, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Abandoned Property Division, One Ashburton Place, 12th Floor, Boston, MA 02108-1608. You can also call 617-367-0400 or 800-647-2300 (toll free Massachusetts only) from 8:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

You might also note that you can also check the Web site to see if there is any listed for you. Sun Spots would also recommend you do a Goggle search to see if the other states you’ve lived in also have a similar list. This information should be pretty easy to find on the Web.

Dear Sun Spots: I am looking for a rug installer to re-stretch a rug in a double wide with tack strips already installed, at a fair price to all. My name is Bob and I can be reached at 375-6165. Thank you again. – Bob, Sabattus.

Dear Sun Spots: The American Legion Auxiliary Unit of Post 153 in New Auburn will hold a garage/bake sale on July 7 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to benefit a local soldier who was wounded in Iraq. We are looking for donations of small items and clothing to be dropped off at 71 South Main Street. Please call Brenda at 782-1118 for more information. Leave your name and number so we can return your call. Thank you. – Della Beaulieu, No Town.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be posted at in the Advice section under Opinion on the left-hand corner of your computer screen. In addition, you can e-mail your inquiries to [email protected]