The National Weather Service says the storm is expected to move into the area Tuesday afternoon and continue into Wednesday, bringing a mix of sleet and freezing rain.
The Lewiston-Auburn area can expect:
- Snow and freezing drizzle likely from 5-11 a.m.
- From 1 to 3 inches of snow from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Rain and snow after 4 p.m.
- The rain and snow could be heavy at times.
- High temperatures near 36.
- Northeast winds at 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
- Travel could become hazardous at times with the possibility of scattered power outages.
Forecasters say northern areas of the state could see up to 6 to 10 inches of snow.
Southern Maine including Portland could see a bit of snow and freezing rain before the precipitation changes over to all rain on Wednesday.
It will be windy as well, with forecasters saying gusts could reach up to 45 miles per hour on Tuesday night.