Moore calls truce with CNN

0

NEW YORK (AP) – “Sicko” filmmaker Michael Moore called a truce Monday in his weeklong fight with CNN that flared when the network accused him of fudging facts in his popular documentary about the health-care system.

Moore had promised the network over the weekend that “I’m about to become your worst nightmare,” leading CNN to post on its Web site a remarkably lengthy response to his accusations.

He noted in an interview Monday that CNN had admitted to two mistakes in reporting on “Sicko” and that he’s willing to move on.

“I trust the intelligence of the American people,” Moore said. “I don’t think there’s a whole lot more to do with this other than I and others are going to be a lot more skeptical with what I see on CNN.”

CNN, in its statement, noted that it has given Moore multiple opportunities to discuss his concerns about the report on the air.

“It’s ironic that someone who has made a career out of holding powerful interests accountable is so sensitive to having his own work held up to the light by impartial journalists, as we did in our examination of “Sicko,”‘ CNN said.

Shortly before Moore appeared for an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer last week, the network ran a report by Dr. Sanjay Gupta that had done some fact-checking on Moore’s movie. Gupta’s report made Moore furious.

, leading to a contentious segment with Blitzer and a debate with Gupta on “Larry King Live” later in the week.

Gupta addressed several statistics in “Sicko” before concluding: “No matter how much Moore fudged the facts – and he did fudge some facts estimates Cuba’s spending at $251 per person. CNN blamed a transcription error for its mistake and apologized for it on and off the air.

Advertisement
SHARE