LEWISTON — Museum L-A has announced its participation in the Blue Star Museum Program, offering free admission to all active-duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day 2010. Museum L-A is one of only two Blue Star Museums in Maine.
The free admission program is available to active-duty and deployed military and up to five of their immediate family members. Eligible military include active-duty Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and active-duty Reserve and active-duty National Guard. Immediate family members who are eligible for free admission include spouse, sibling or child of active duty military.
To qualify for free admission, a Geneva Conventions Common Access Card (CAC) for active-duty military personnel or a DD Form 1173 for active-duty military family must be presented to Museum L-A staff upon arrival. Children under the age of 10 without military identification are welcome to attend with their parents or siblings who either hold a CAC Geneva Conventions identification or a DD 1173 active duty military family identification.
Blue Star Museums is a partnership among Blue Star Families, the National Endowment for the Arts and more than 600 museums across America. Blue Star Families is a national, nonpartisan, nonprofit network of military families from all ranks and services including guard and reserve, with a mission to support, connect and empower military families. The National Endowment for the Arts is a public agency dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts – both new and established – bringing the arts to all Americans, and providing leadership in arts education.
To find out which additional museums are participating, visit www.arts.gov/bluestarmuseums.
Museum L-A is currently offering two exhibits in addition to its second-floor gallery focusing on the textile and shoe-making industries of Lewiston-Auburn and the people who worked in them. “Portraits & Voices: Brickyard Roads” tells the story of the local brickmaking industry through first-person oral histories, documentary photographs, films showing the process of the past and present and specially-commissioned artwork celebrating the art of brickmaking.
“Rivers of Immigration: Peoples of the Androscoggin” showcases the cultural diversity of Lewiston-Auburn, historically and in the present, with an illustrated timeline, interactive writing wall, photographs and personal histories contributed by local English-language learners.
Museum L-A is located in the Bates Mill, 35 Canal St. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information, call 333-3881 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.