LISBON — The State Fire Marshal’s Office says a man died early this morning when fire swept his mobile home at 5 Larry Drive.
Lisbon firefighters retrieved the body of 41-year-old Richard A. Davis from a back bedroom of the burning home about two hours after arriving on the scene, according to Deputy Fire Chief Mike Robitaille.
When firefighters arrived the home was three-quarters involved, Robitaille said, who added Davis dialed 911 to report the fire at 11:53 p.m. Sunday night.
"The heat and fire grew quickly and the trailer was fully involved shortly thereafter," Robitaille said.
He said the destruction from the blaze was so complete that he believed the cause would remain undetermined.
The mobile home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived on the scene. Unable to find Davis outside, firefighters entered the building via a window and found him in one of the mobile home's three bedrooms.
Davis lived alone at the mobile home, according to local sources.
Robitaille said there was no working smoke detector in the home and that when the department offered last year to install one Davis refused. The town's fire department conducted a fire safety program offering to install working smoke detectors in all Lisbon homes.
A team of three State Fire Marshal investigators are attempting to pinpoint the cause, according to Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.
The death is the first fire-related fatality in Maine for 2012, McCausland's release stated.
During the fire crews from the Lewiston Fire Department filled in at the E.T. Smith Hose Company and the Durham Fire Department filled in at the Lisbon Falls station, while Topsham Fire Department responded to the scene with Lisbon firefighters.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 6:30 a.m. Monday. There were no injuries reported among the firefighters.
Sun Journal staff writers contributed to this report.