100 years ago, 1912
When the Bates Street Shirt Shop Company moves into new quarters on Bates Street next January it will occupy one of the most modern buildings in this line of industry in the country. Just now the work on the foundation is a very busy place and here modern methods are being employed for construction. All the work is being done by local men. Years ago back in 1876 this big concern made a small start in a small building. The building first occupied is directly across from where the new shop will be. The main building will be 200 feet on the front by 100 deep. It will be four stories high, but equal to five, for the basement will be six feet above the level of the sidewalk, making another floor.
50 years ago, 1962
(Photo Caption) PARAGON GLASS COMPANY ADDITION. Work on the new addition at the Paragon Glass Co. on Westminster Street in the Lewiston Industrial Park is continuing with much of the structural steel already in place. The new addition will house a large warehouse allowing the company more manufacturing space in its present plant. The addition is expected to be completed later this year.
25 years ago, 1987
Roger and Gayle Smedberg’s success in diversifying their dairy farm since developers began buying up cropland around their Route 26 farm in Oxford has been praised by the commissioner of agriculture during a tour of the couple’s Crystal Spring Farm. The Smedbergs purchased the farm 20 years ago with a herd of 46 cattle. That has increased to 140 now. But 40 percent of their income is from their produce stand next to the highway where everything from lobsters to homemade jams and pastries from all kinds of fruits, vegetables and flowers are sold.