FARMINGTON — An overheated circulation pump is believed to have caused a smoke buildup at Tranten's Market on Main Street on Friday morning.
Farmington Fire and Rescue found the store filled with smoke at about 8 a.m., Deputy Chief Tim Hardy said. When employees arrived they thought there was a problem in the attic, he said.
Streets from Broadway to Academy were closed for about an hour while firefighters checked for the smoke source and vented the building, he said.
Mutual aid from other departments was initially requested but then turned back once the local department arrived.
An electrical transformer behind the store blew out during the night and may have hindered the supply of electricity to the store, perhaps overtaxing the motor, Alan Hart, of Foothills Management and Development, the property owner, said later in the day.