DURHAM — Quick action by a homeowner early Wednesday morning is credited with preventing a vehicle fire from spreading to his home.
Durham Fire Department Capt. C.J. Larrabee Jr. said Robert Pontau of 141 Rabbit Road was awakened by a smoke alarm shortly after 1 a.m. and found his sport utility vehicle in the attached garage on fire. He called the Fire Department and quickly used a fire extinguisher to quell the blaze until firefighters arrived.
Upon arrival, Larrabee said the fire was out, but the house was filled with smoke. Firefighters used equipment to blow it out.
The fire started in the rear of the 2008 Toyota Highlander and was determined to be electrical. Larrabee estimated the loss at more than $5,000.
There were no injuries and no damage to the house or garage, he said.