Otisfield man who escaped in handcuffs turns himself in


PARIS — An Otisfield man who escaped Tuesday from the back of a police cruiser while in handcuffs turned himself in to police Wednesday night.

Maxx Noble, 27, was charged with three counts of aggravated drug trafficking, criminal conspiracy, possession of firearms by a prohibited person, violation of bail conditions and escaping custody.

He turned himself in on the warrant and escape charges at about 11:30 p.m. after his mother drove him to the Oxford County Jail, where he was held without bail, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said.

Noble escaped from custody Tuesday after he was arrested by troopers Adam Fillebrown and Jason Wing on felony charges stemming from an investigation by Maine State Police and the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency.

While the troopers were inside Noble’s home, he unbuckled his seat belt, unlocked the cruiser door and fled into nearby woods without his shoes. His sneakers had been removed at the time of his arrest.

Troopers, aided by tracking dogs, the Oxford County Sheriff’s Office and Oxford police, searched a wide area near the Harrison town line without success. Deputies and troopers were stationed around the neighborhood, alerting neighbors and motorists.

Police focused their search Wednesday on friends and family members who told police Noble was considering turning himself in, McCausland said.

Noble was convicted of conspiracy in the destruction of the Fryeburg Academy gymnasium, which was destroyed by fire in 2005.

In 2010, he was accused of assaulting three youths with a baseball bat. Two of the victims were treated at Bridgton Hospital for nonlife-threatening injuries. One victim was taken to Central Maine Medical Center and put into a medically induced coma for his severe head injuries.

Noble is expected to make an initial court appearance on the most recent charges in South Paris District Court on Friday. He will remain at the jail until then.