Pit bull mauls boy; dog euthanized


LIVERMORE FALLS — A pit bull that severely mauled an 11-year-old New York boy on Globe Street on Tuesday was euthanized by a veterinarian at the keeper’s request later in the day, police said.

The dog had been kenneled when Jessica Anderson, 32, of Globe Street in Livermore Falls, left a 12-year-old daughter baby-sitting three children that morning, Livermore Falls police Lt. Thomas Gould said. Sometime during the morning, the dog was released from the kennel, he said.

Anderson was watching the 1-year-old, brindle-and-white male named Diesel for a friend. She was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and being the keeper of a dangerous dog, Gould said.

The New York boy was visiting family friends at the residence off Souther Road when the attack occurred, Livermore Falls police officer Vern Stevens said. It was the second attack by the dog this month, he said.

The boy was mauled Tuesday on both legs in the ankle area and his abdomen, Stevens said.

“There was massive blood loss,” he said.


The 12-year-old girl was baby-sitting the boy and her two siblings, 7 and 3 months, when the attack occurred, Stevens said.

When Stevens arrived on the scene four minutes after the 12-year-old’s 911 call at 11:41 a.m., a neighbor, Raymond Roy, was holding the dog at bay with a pole lamp in the hallway of the home, Stevens said. Roy had gone into the home and grabbed the lamp and started beating the dog until it released the boy, Gould said.

“Roy saved the boy’s life,” Gould said. “I honestly don’t think he would have made it much longer.”

Two more neighbors were tending the boy who was on the floor near the front door, he said.

“I had the neighbors get the boy out of the house and at that point, the person who was holding the dog at bay and myself started to back out of the residence and the dog started to lunge,” Stevens said. “I Tased him and it immobilized the dog enough so we could get out of the residence and secure it with the dog inside.”

The boy was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston. He was listed in stable condition and was still in the operating room at 6 p.m., Gould said.

“He is badly injured,” he said.

The dog attacked a family member, an older teenager, on March 2, Stevens said. The teen was bitten in the face and arm and was taken to CMMC, he said.

The dog was quarantined for 10 days after the March 2 attack, Animal Control Officer Wayne Atwood said, and was checked out by a veterinarian.

When Anderson arrived home Tuesday, she put the dog in a kennel in the home and requested it be euthanized, Atwood said. The dog’s body will be taken to a state laboratory for testing, he said.

[email protected]