Rescuers recount pit bull mauling, rescue


LIVERMORE FALLS — The child was screaming and blood was everywhere as a pit bull savagely bit him on the neck, abdomen and legs.

Neighbor Raymond Roy got word of the attack and went to the rescue. When he arrived, the dog was on top of the boy chewing his legs in the hallway. Both boy and dog were covered in blood, Roy said.

“I was frantic to find a weapon,” he said. He grabbed a chair and threw it at the dog.

Roy and others did what they had to do to save the 11-year-old’s life, they said Wednesday.

The boy from New York was on vacation from school, visiting family friends at the mobile home park on Globe Street in Livermore Falls on Tuesday when the dog attacked.

Neighbors Sarah Roy and her husband, Raymond, and Britany Paskell and Josh Harlow were all home, which was unusual, they said.

They were alerted there was a pit bull attack going on in the park and started to run. They knew that the only pit bull in the park, which they say is against the park’s rules, had attacked Jessica Anderson’s teenage son at her home earlier in the month.

When Raymond Roy arrived at Anderson’s home and threw a computer desk chair at the dog, it dropped down and rolled back about 3 feet, he said. But then the dog shook it off and grabbed the boy’s arm.

Roy searched for another weapon and grabbed a lamp with a post.

“I repeatedly struck the dog on the head,” Roy said. Between hits, he and Paskell were able to pull the boy away from the dog.

Paskell said she dragged the boy to the doorway in the living room while Roy kept the dog at bay.

“I never took my eyes off the dog’s eyes for a second,” Roy said. “I kept jabbing the dog. I just tried to keep him from going past me.”

Sarah Roy said she grabbed blankets and took a shoelace from a sneaker to make a tourniquet to tie around the knee area of the boy’s left leg to stop the bleeding from a deep wound below.

She grabbed the bassinet-top from a pack-n-go crib to use as a stretcher.

Roy said she had a little training and watched medical shows and is a Cub Scout Den mother but had never tied a tourniquet before.

“I was petrified and instinct just kicked in,” she said.

They wrapped the boy in blankets, got him on the makeshift stretcher and moved him out the door.

Many people helped carry him out the door down to Paskell’s and Harlow’s trailer.

“He kept telling us, ‘Please don’t let me die; save me,’” Harlow said.

They followed instructions from Androscoggin County emergency dispatchers and tended to the boy until an ambulance arrived.

Back at Anderson’s home, Raymond Roy said he saw a red laser light pointed at the dog and realized a police officer had arrived and had his Taser trained on the dog.

When only Roy, the dog and Livermore Falls police officer Vern Stevens were left in the home, Stevens suggested they start slowly backing out the door, with the Taser and the lamp still in their hands.

“We got out of the house,” Roy said. “We closed the storm door and the bottom of the storm door fell apart and that’s when the dog started to lunge, and that’s when (Stevens) Tasered him.” Roy closed the steel door to the home, securing the dog inside.

Anderson’ s 12-year-old daughter was baby-sitting the 11-year-old victim, as well as her two siblings, ages 7 and 3 months, when the attack occurred. Anderson and the boy’s father, Garry Thomsen, had gone to visit a friend.

The boy never cried during the attack and was brave through the whole ordeal, Sarah Roy said.

[email protected]