From Jennifer Aniston to Jay-Z, quotes from the year in entertainment:
“I feel duped.”
– Oprah Winfrey, to author James Frey, who fabricated chunks of his best-selling memoir, “A Million Little Pieces.”
“We thought it was a really nice, sweet name. A lyrical name.”
– Tom Cruise, on why he and Katie Holmes named their daughter Suri.
“I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words. Please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot.”
– Mel Gibson, on comments he made to police who arrested him for drunken driving.
“I don’t think I want to see any more Mel Gibson movies.”
– Barbara Walters.
“I’m not a racist. That’s what’s so insane about this.”
– Michael Richards, who called black hecklers the n-word during a standup comedy routine.
“It was an accident so stupid. It was like running with a pencil.”
– Terri Irwin, on the stingray death of her husband, “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin.
“I think a relationship with a partner is intensely personal and I prefer to keep it that way.”
– Paul McCartney, on divorcing his wife, Heather Mills McCartney.
“I did it with my dad. I’d sit on his lap and I drive. We’re country.”
– Britney Spears, responding to criticism for driving with her baby son, Sean Preston, on her lap.
“‘He hates his children, he treats his wife like dirt, he gets high all day.’ If I was that bad, you think anyone, let alone Britney, would put up with it?”
– Kevin Federline, before Britney Spears filed for divorce.
“I probably did take my newfound freedom a little too far. Anyway, thank God for Victoria’s Secrets’ new underwear line!”
– a newly single Britney Spears, after being photographed apparently without panties.
“I know I’m too thin right now, so I wouldn’t want any young girl looking at me and saying, “That’s what I want to look like.”‘
– Nicole Richie, on her drastic weight loss.
“Yes, I’m pregnant.”
– Angelina Jolie, on expecting a baby with Brad Pitt.
“If only my wealth and my position could have made things go faster. I assure you it doesn’t matter who you are and how much money you have, nothing goes fast in Africa.”
– Madonna, on her planned adoption of a Malawian boy.
“There is absolutely no question that Eddie is the father.”
– A pregnant Melanie “Scary Spice” Brown after ex-boyfriend Eddie Murphy questioned whether he is the father of her unborn baby.
“I understand why people think we’re gay. There isn’t a definition in our culture for this kind of bond between women. So I get why people have to label it – how can you be this close without it being sexual?”
– Oprah Winfrey, on her friendship with Gayle King.
“I’m not ashamed – that’s the one thing I want to say. I don’t think it’s wrong, I’m not devastated going through this. I’m more liberated and happy than I’ve been my whole life.”
– Lance Bass, announcing that he is gay.
“I’m not engaged, and I don’t have a ring, and I haven’t been proposed to.”
– Jennifer Aniston, on reports of her engagement to Vince Vaughn.
“Jennifer and Vince mutually agreed to end their relationship but continue to be good friends today.”
- A statement from Aniston and Vaughn’s representatives.
“I’m 20 years old. Is it a crime to go … dancing with your friends?”
– Lindsay Lohan, on her party-girl reputation.
“She didn’t appear in the least bit to be intoxicated.”
- Paris Hilton’s publicist, Elliot Mintz, on the heiress’ arrest for allegedly driving under the influence.
“We are one funny dysfunctional family. There’s nothing but love.”
– “American Idol” judge Paula Abdul, dismissing reports of off-camera feuding with “Idol” host Ryan Seacrest.
“There’s no such thing as a snake trainer. You can’t teach a snake to roll over and sit up. They just don’t take orders. Who trusts that?”
– “Snakes on a Plane” star Samuel L. Jackson.
“I lost to Barry Manilow! Barry Manilow! I lost to the “Copacabana.’ Singing and dancing is not performing.”
– Stephen Colbert, who was beaten by Manilow’s special at the Emmy Awards.
“If you saw the tree, you’d realize the joke. Fiji is not just made of coconut trees. It was a little tree.”
– Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, who suffered a head injury after falling out of a tree.
“Although it may be terrifying to get out of your comfort zone, it’s very exciting to start a new chapter in your life.”
– Katie Couric, on becoming anchor of the “CBS Evening News.”
“It was the worst retirement in history.”
– Jay-Z, on releasing a new album.
“Everybody’s already saying it, so I just don’t talk about it. I’m like, OK, whatever. It doesn’t bother me.”
– Ashlee Simpson, on media speculation that she had a nose job.
“What’s the difference between a pop star and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.”
– Madonna, poking fun at her diva reputation.
“We gave her time to look for another job and hoped that she would announce it on this program and leave with dignity. But Star made another choice.”
– Barbara Walters, on Star Jones Reynolds, her former co-host on “The View.”
“When I’m 80. That’s when I’ll call it quits.”
– Janet Jackson, on posing for sexy photos.
“He was drunk as a skunk.”
– Joy Behar, joking about Danny DeVito’s loopy behavior during an appearance on ABC’s “The View.”
“It’s a funny thing about winning an Academy Award. This will always be synonymous with your name from here on in. It will be, ‘Oscar winner George Clooney, sexiest man alive 1997, “Batman,’ died today in a freak accident.”‘
– George Clooney, accepting his first Oscar, for his role in “Syriana.”