BROWNFIELD — The Fryeburg Academy ski team will host “Ski Museum of Maine Night” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 4, at the Stone Mountain Arts Center. The $5 cost will include a dessert and coffee reception.
Seventy-five winters ago, Fryeburg was the epicenter of Maine skiing. The state’s first ski lift was built on Jockey Cap, snow trains rolled between Portland and Fryeburg, people schussed down three hills in town and a network of cross country trails were cut through Stow and Chatham, N.H. Reporters and photographers told the story in the national news media.
Then after three years in the spotlight the action moved elsewhere, and Fryeburg’s role as a cradle of Maine skiing was relegated to an historical footnote. Fryeburg’s role will be recalled in the program.
Scott Andrews, research director of the Ski Museum of Maine, will present a Fireside Chat, a narrated digital slide show that features more than 100 vintage photos. The title of the show is “An Avalanche of Interest: The First 75 Years of Skiing in Maine.”
It will cover the period from 1870, when the first Swedish settlers arrived in Aroostook County, to the end of World War II. Fryeburg in the late 1930s will be a special emphasis.
The Ski Museum, which is based in Kingfield, will also unveil a new display that recalls events in Maine, the U.S. and the world from the ski season of 1935-1936.
The Ski Museum of Maine and the Fryeburg Academy ski team invite members of the public to share photos and memories during the Nov. 4 program. For directions, visit www.stonemountainartscenter.com.