Smoking materials blamed in fire

0

LEWISTON — Improper disposal of smoking material was the cause of a Thursday night fire at an apartment house on Pleasant Street, an official said Friday.

No one was hurt in the 10:30 p.m. blaze, although tenants from both floors had to flee to safety.

Lewiston Fire Investigator Paul Ouellette said the blaze started on the first floor in a porch area that serves as a side entrance. The fire traveled up an outer support beam and spread to the second floor through a window with a dryer vent opening, he said.

Flames began to spread through the second floor porch before it was knocked down by firefighters.

Advertisement

Ouellette said heavy winds helped fan and spread the flames along the side of the building.

The fire caused about $10,000 in damages, Ouellette said. Tenants were able to go back to their homes once the fire was out and smoke was blown from the building.

Advertisement