Tile repair, business closures


DEAR SUN SPOTS: Years ago I had someone from maybe ColorTile in Lewiston install tiles in our shower. That store is now gone and the tiles need to be repaired. Is there anybody out there to help?

— David, Auburn

ANSWER: Here are a couple Lewiston businesses that can help make your bathroom look as good as new again: Royal Flooring at 789 Webster St. (784-6964) and Sherm Arnold’s Flooring and Kitchen at 675 Main St. (782-0851). Readers, please add your recommendations. And if you are a tile installer, consider advertising in the Sun Journal classifieds.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: Thank you for your column. It is most helpful and enjoyed by many. I’m wondering if you could research the abrupt closing of Cloud 9 Day Spa at 465 Main St. in Lewiston. Many of us are left with gift cards and wondering if we will get reimbursed for those as we all bought them in good faith. The sign on the door says “Closed permanently” and the phone number has been disconnected. There is no contact information provided. I’m hopefully awaiting news.

— Irene, no town

ANSWER: I’ve attempted to reach out to the spa owner and to her colleagues through social media but have come up empty. I’m hoping our readers can shed some light on the subject. Read on to the answer below on how to resolve issues with a business that owes you money or goods and services.

DEAR SUN SPOTS: In October, I dropped two items at Beyond Shoe Repair at 1125 Center St. in Auburn. When I called to check on my items, the phone number had been disconnected. When I went there the place had been cleaned out and there was a note on the door saying they had moved to Wilton with a phone number to call. After leaving several messages, I still have heard nothing and have no idea how to find out about the items I had already paid to be repaired. It seems they moved just a few days after I had brought in my things and I’m assuming they knew about it while I was there. Had they mentioned they were moving, I would have waited. This has been a real hassle. Any help on who I can contact regarding having my items returned to me is truly appreciated.

— Deanna, no town

ANSWER: I attempted to reach this business through the number on their social media page and it has been disconnected. I would suggest that both you and Irene contact the Attorney General’s Consumer Mediation Service. This is a free service to Maine consumers who have a problem with a business. I spoke with Martha Currier, the complaint examiner. She oversees the Consumer Mediation Program. She can help you file a consumer complaint and answer questions. You can write to her and her staff at: Attorney General’s Consumer Information and Mediation Service, 6 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333.

You can also email [email protected] Be sure to include your name, address and phone number. You can call the Consumer Information and Mediation Service from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday, at 626-8849 or toll-free at 1-800-436-2131. More information can be found at http://www.maine.gov/ag/consumer/complaints/index.shtml.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Please include your phone number. Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be emailed to [email protected]