FARMINGTON — Local towns are preparing for Memorial Day to honor Americans who served in the armed forces. Ceremonies and parades leading to cemeteries to place flags and wreaths will be observed throughout these Franklin County towns:
American Legion Post 28 has planned a 9 a.m. wreath-laying service by the color guard at the WWI Memorial on upper Main Street.
Services follow at 9:30 a.m. at the American Legion Post 28. State Rep. Lance Harvell, R-Farmington, will be the guest speaker and Rep. Tom Saviello, U-Wilton, will present Gold Star awards.
Following the service inside Post 28, a wreath-laying ceremony will take place at the memorial outside the Post.
The traditional parade begins at 10 a.m., starting from the Post and proceeding to Meetinghouse Park where wreaths will be presented to the Civil War, WWII and Veterans memorials. The parade will continue on to Riverside Cemetery, where services will be held at the grave sites.
A light lunch will be served at the Legion Hall following the parade. Those who wish to join the parade are welcome. Call Adjutant Les Gatchell at 897-5509 for more information.
Weld American Legion Post 203 will celebrate Memorial Day with a parade and remembrance ceremony held in front of the Weld Library at 1 p.m.
The Old Crow Band will perform and Sammie Angel will sing patriotic music.
All are welcome.
Observance begins with several short ceremonies prior to the 10 a.m. parade. Any and all who wish to participate in the parade are asked to show up for lineup at 9 a.m. Organizers continue to look for more floats, cars, groups to join the parade.
The schedule of events includes:
• 6:30 a.m.: Meet at VFW Post 3335 (honor guard, firing squad, bugler, and participants)
• 7 a.m.: Livermore Falls Memorial Bridge (ceremony by AMVETS Post 33, firing squad, taps)
• 7:20 a.m.: Livermore Veteran’s Memorial (ceremony by American Legion Post 10, firing squad, taps)
• 7:45 a.m.: Jay POW/MIA Bridge (ceremony by VFW Post 3335, firing squad, taps)
• 8:15 a.m.: Jay Hill Cemetery (ceremony by Hyla Friedman, Jay Band-national anthem, firing squad, taps)
• 8:45 a.m.: VFW Post 3335 (ceremony by VFW Post 3335, firing squad, taps)
• 9 a.m.: Parade line-up starts at MEMCO parking lot Jay
• 10 a.m.: Parade begins
Parade Lineup: Police escorts, Northstar Ambulance, parade marshal, color guard (accompanied by active duty personnel), Jay Band, veteran’s floats, veteran auxiliary organizations, Knights of Columbus, Miss Buddy Poppy American Legion, Miss Buddy Poppy VFW, Master Buddy Poppy VFW, Livermore Falls Band, all other organizations that wish to participate (first come, first served), fire departments personnel, organizations that have animals participating in the parade, police escorts.
Along the parade route these events will take place:
• Chisholm Square WW2 Monument — prayer and speech by American Legion, music by Jay Band
• Richardson Cemetery Monument — prayer by Knights of Columbus, music by Livermore Falls Band
• Grand Army of the Republic Monument — prayer by AMVETS, music by Jay Band
• Livermore Falls, Union Street Park WWI and WWII Monument — prayers by emergency services (fire, police, and EMTs) and VFW, music by Livermore Falls Band
• 12:15 p.m.: Fayette Veteran’s Memorial (prayer by American Legion, firing squad, and taps)
For more information, contact Mike Collins at 897-4739.