WAYNE/LIVERMORE FALLS — The Androscoggin Yacht Club on Androscoggin Lake, Wayne, and The Lamb Block in Livermore Falls have been entered in the National Register of Historic Places according to Earle G. Shettleworth Jr., director of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission. This designation indicates that the properties have been documented, evaluated and considered worthy of preservation and protection as part of the nation’s cultural heritage.
The Androscoggin Yacht Club is among the oldest surviving yacht club organizations in Maine, and perhaps the oldest such facility located on an inland waterway, still being used for its original function. First incorporated in 1909, the organization purchased land and opened its clubhouse and docks in 1912. The wood frame clubhouse with wraparound porch and generous meeting hall was designed by architect Carl Fuller Davis of Bridgeport, Conn.
The club is locally significant as a remarkably intact example of a type of social building that was built as clubhouses for fishing lodges, golf clubs, yacht clubs and social organizations, mostly in tourist-oriented towns or private communities, in the early decades of the 20th century. It is also a local building that reflects the development of forms of entertainment and recreation in Wayne, a small town with a substantial summer population.
The Lamb Block has been listed in the National Register for its local architectural significance. The three-story brick structure on the north side of Depot Street was designed by George M. Coombs and built for John F. Lamb in 1895 to house the hardware business Lamb owned with his son-in-law A. W. Stuart.
It is a classic example of the late 19th century downtown commercial structure with first floor storefronts, second floor professional offices and a large third floor meeting hall. The use of brick, cast iron and terra cotta for exterior materials is also characteristic of commercial architecture of this period. It was the first substantial brick commercial building in Livermore Falls and is the first of several important buildings Coombs designed in the town in the late 1890s.