Upton death ruled a homicide


UPTON — The death of a Limington mother whose body was discovered Friday in Upton was ruled a homicide by the State Medical Examiner’s Office following an autopsy Sunday.

The body of Kelly Winslow, 30, was discovered Friday in the western Maine town of Upton, just north of Grafton Notch State Park. Investigators with Maine State Police report that she died of a gunshot wound to the head. Winslow was reported missing Thursday night from her home on Mike’s Way by her husband, Patrick Dapolito, whom she just recently married.

Maine State Police spokesman Steve McCausland reported Monday that Winslow’s death had been ruled a homicide. He said in a statement that detectives were continuing their investigation into the shooting, but were not releasing any additional information. He said there had been no arrests as of Monday night.

Winslow’s obituary listed her date of death as Tuesday, March 16, two days before she was reported missing by her husband. When contacted by the Sun Journal Monday night, a representative at Crosman Funeral said the information included in the obituary was provided by Winslow’s family.

McCausland declined to comment on the exact day that Winslow died.

“The only thing that the Medical Examiner’s office is saying publicly is that she died of a gunshot wound to the head and that it was a homicide,” McCausland said.

Winslow’s body was found Friday on property off Route 26 in Upton in northern Oxford County on the New Hampshire border. Police searched several locations, including the family’s house in Limington, but would not say what led them to the Upton property more than 80 miles north of her home.

“She was always happy. I used to call her smiley,” said Winslow’s uncle, Shawn Winslow, of Sabattus. “She was a good kid. She was always happy going and stuff.”

In her obituary, Winslow was described as a caring, happy person who was always searching for ways to help other people. She was listed as Winslow-Dapolito in the obituary, but has been referred to by her maiden name of Winslow in police reports.

According to the Portland Press Herald, police say Winslow’s husband has cooperated with the investigation. Attempts to reach him Monday evening were unsuccessful because his phone was disconnected.