Welcome to ‘Main Street USA’

0

LIVERMORE FALLS – Friday afternoon and evening, May 19, downtown Livermore Falls will look and feel like the “heart and soul” of many American towns in times past.

Old cars and trucks will park on Depot and Main streets, country and bluegrass music will fill the air around the gazebo, and there will be lots to see in vacant stores. Both new and established business will be open for visitors and serve refreshments, and door prizes will be announced at 8:15 p.m. at the gazebo.

The First Baptist Church on Church Street will hold more than 100 quilts and other needlework. Minnie Wheeler’s crazy quilt, designed, hand decorated and finished about 1900, will be on display. She lived at Stricklands Ferry Village near the railroad depot. Her husband, Frank Wheeler, was a forest cruiser for the Hastings Lumber Co.

Murray Hall will have displays and slide shows. Livermore Falls and Jay of the 1960s will be highlighted at a special display, remembering the “boom years,” when the Androscoggin Mill was constructed, and downtown Livermore Falls sported new building entrances and increased off-street parking.

Outside, Tweed Hyde’s Rube Band (the Old Crow Band from Farmington) will play vintage tunes and marches.

Eighth-grade students from Livermore Falls Middle School will share their spring Maine studies projects in the vacant store next to Fitness Stylz on Depot Street. The displays are part of their unit, “Life along the Androscoggin River – Past, Present, and Future.”

The street festival is presented by Livermore Falls Downtown Betterment Group, the Jay-Livermore-Livermore Falls Chamber of Commerce, Livermore Falls Middle School, and local historians.

Headquarters will be located in a vacant store next to Chuck Wagon Restaurant. Greetings posted on the Livermore Falls Web site, www.lfme.org, will be posted on a bulletin board in the headquarters.

For additional information, contact Dennis Stires, coordinator, at 897-4222 or by email:stires@megalink.net.

Advertisement
SHARE