DIXFIELD — The Board of Selectmen will meet with a representative from a wind energy company on Monday, Oct. 27, to talk about the effect the amended Wind Energy Facility Ordinance would have on wind development in the area.
The selectmen meeting is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. at the Ludden Memorial Library.
Patriot Renewables LLC of Quincy, Mass., approached Dixfield officials three years ago about constructing a 20 milowatt wind turbine project on the Colonel Holman Mountain ridge. The corporation has been conducting research on the ridge, including wind tests, bird studies and environmental impact studies.
A wind power ordinance was approved in 2012, but selectmen voted to send it to the Planning Board in early 2013 to strengthen it. The Planning Board and selectmen met in August to discuss final amendments.
At a public hearing Oct. 22 on the amended ordinance, Town Manager Carlo Puiia told residents one change was increasing the setback for a wind turbine from a nonparticipating parcel’s property from 2,000 feet to 4,000 feet.
Residents will vote on the amended ordinance Nov. 4.
Resident Peter Holman said at the public hearing that he spoke with Tom Carroll, project coordinator of Patriot Renewables, who said a wind development project in Dixfield following the setback amendment would be impossible.
Selectman Hart Daley said Carroll’s statement was “hearsay” and Daley wanted to hear Carroll speak about what effects the ordinance would have on wind development.
Carroll agreed to attend Monday’s selectmen meeting to answer questions.
Other items on the agenda include:
* Presentation by the Oxford County Sheriff’s Department for law enforcement coverage.
* Discussion on agreement for water and sewer billing operations contract with Mexico Water District.
* Request by Sign Committee for funds from Ione Harlow Trust Fund.
* Request to approve junkyard permits.
* Review of state law regarding consumer fireworks.
* Discussion on whether to request a presentation from the Western Maine Economic Development Council for Dixfield and surrounding towns.