Wood stove likely cause of Wilton fire

0

WILTON — Firefighters responded to a house fire Sunday evening at 514 U.S. Route 2 West.

The fire at the home of Clayton Harvell could have been caused by the wood stove overheating or a chimney fire, Wilton Fire Chief Sonny Dunham said. The wall behind the stove caught fire, he said.

Two people, including Harvell, were at the home when the fire was reported at 9:11 p.m.  No one was injured by the fire, he said.

The American Red Cross was called to help them find shelter because the stove was the only source of heat, he said.  The house is insured.

Advertisement

The quick response from firefighters prevented a lot of damage, but they were there for a few hours checking to make sure the fire did not extend beyond the wall, he said.

Mutual aid from Farmington, Jay, East Dixfield and Livermore Falls Fire departments responded to help, he said.  

abryant@sunmediagroup.net

Advertisement