The home of Joe and June Roy on the South Rumford Road was destroyed by fire late Thursday afternoon.

Dozens of firefighters from at least five fire departments along with several tankers and pumpers were still battling the smoky blaze late into the night. Traffic was diverted from the road for several hours.

Neighbor Howard Gunther said the couple, along with their teenage son, Matt, were able to safely get out of the house. Three dogs, including one now being cared for by Gunther, also escaped.

Several horses and chickens housed in the detached barn were herded to an adjacent field and appeared to be unharmed. Gunther said the Roys had only recently built the barn.

Thick, black and gray smoke billowed above the story-and-a-half, wood-framed home as firefighters pumped thousands of gallons of water into the blaze. The barn was flattened, along with a shed and an ell attached to the house. Firefighters were still pumping water into the house at press time. A crew from Central Maine Power arrived at the scene to disconnect electricity.

Firefighters also hosed down several vehicles, some of which appeared to have been singed by the flames from the nearby blazing barn.

Neighbors and the Roys were able to carry out a few of the Roys’ furnishings and other personal items before the house was engulfed in flames.

A Rumford fire official said late Thursday that the cause of the fire was an electrial fuse panel. He said Matt Roy suffered minor burns to his hands and was treated at the scene.



Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.