1922 – 2004

FARMINGTON – Phyllis M. Harris, 82, passed away on March 23, at Franklin Memorial Hospital where she had been a patient since March 13.

She was born in Fairfield on March 8, 1922, the daughter of Lester and Blanch (Brown) McKechnie of Fairfield. She attended Fairbank School in Farmington K-8th grade and her freshman year at Farmington High School; then she attended Lawrence High School in Fairfield the next three years.

She was salutatorian of her graduating class in 1941. After school she worked for the Cascade Woolen Mill in Oakland and then did housework at various homes. She married Emerson Harris and they made their home on the George Thomas farm in Farmington Falls.

In August of 1949, she gave birth to a daughter, Helena, who was killed in a farm accident at the age of 10. Mr. Emerson died due to an accident with a tractor while yarding logs in New Sharon. She later sold the farm and lived on Porter Hill for a few years while working for Dr. Dana Dingly’s Veterinarian Hospital in Farmington. Later she built a new home on Maple Ave. in Farmington where she lived until now.

She loved collecting tiny teapots and playing her harmonica. She was a member of the Nazarene Church in Farmington Falls, and a member of the Victer Grange in Fairfield Center for a good number of years.

She is survived by one sister, Geneva Luce of Farmington; several nieces and nephews.

She was predeceased by four brothers, Eustace, Lewis, Richard and Arthur; two sisters, Ola Atwood and Ruby Goldsmith.

Guest Book