Dear Sun Spots: My friend Ida Rose went for an identification card at the Department of Motor Vehicles offices. The problem is she goes by the name of Rose and that name is on her Social Security card, but not on her birth certificate. Her birth certificate has Ida so they could not give her a card.

Is there any way she can have a card? – A Sun Spots fan, No Town.

Answer: Sun Spots encounters the same problem. Sun Spots checked with Linda Grant at the Department of Motor Vehicles who says this question is a little difficult to answer without being able to check the person’s record to see the background history. Grant doesn’t know if this is someone new to the system or attempting to get replacement credentials. She says she will assume that Ida Rose was new to the system and a check had never been made. So the very short answer is that when someone applies for a license or ID card, motor vehicles requires a Social Security number to be on file. They run a check against the Social Security database, and the name provided must match the one on file at Social Security or it is kicked out. The two credentials should match, and it should be easy enough to make the change with Social Security.

Dear Sun Spots: I am considering painting my kitchen cabinets. They are steel and in very good condition. However, I have contact paper on them, and I want to know how to remove the glue that stays on after you remove the paper. I have tried everything. Help! – T.B., Auburn.

Answer: In addition to responses from readers, according to www., you should try any good adhesive dissolver, like Goo Gone or Oops!, and then clean this off with paint thinner or other solvent. Sand lightly when dry, and paint. Good Luck!

In addition, Richard Glidden, president of Glidden Painting in Orlando, suggests starting with a direct-to-metal primer followed by two coats of exterior acrylic latex. The top coats can be brushed, rolled or sprayed on, but beware of brush marks. Sprayed paint gives the finest finish, but rolling on the paint with a foam or short-nap roller is the next best option. Expect the direct-to-metal primer to look semitransparent when applied. “It is not designed for coverage,” Glidden explains, “but as a bonding coat.”

Dear Sun Spots: Would any of your readers have any suggestions as to how I might capture an injured humming bird that eats at our feeder each day? If caught, to whom could it be taken for care? Thanks. – Charles P., Mechanic Falls.

Dear Sun Spots: Your great column has helped me in the past. I hope it will happen again.

I’m trying to contact Signature color, a photo developing service. They have been great for years but now I cannot get through by phone at all. If you are unsuccessful, is there a photo shop in the area that would develop my last roll of 35 mm film? Any I’ve spoken to won’t do it. It’s Signature film. Thanks for any help. – Barbara Ringewald, Norway.

Answer: Contact Signature Color, 5311 Fleming Court, Austin, TX 78744. General phone number is (512) 444-0102, however it was engaged when Sun Spots called it. You might want to try the following number that is listed for technical assistance, but does give you an opportunity to leave a message (as long as the box is not full): (512) 445-0256.

This column is for you, our readers. It is for your questions and comments. There are only two rules: You must write to the column and sign your name (we won’t use it if you ask us not to). Letters will not be returned or answered by mail, and telephone calls will not be accepted. Your letters will appear as quickly as space allows. Address them to Sun Spots, P.O. Box 4400, Lewiston, ME 04243-4400. Inquiries can also be posted at in the Advice section under Opinion on the left hand corner of your computer screen.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.