FARMINGTON – A special meeting of the Pierce House board of trustees was held May 5 at the Granary Restaurant. The meeting was followed by a celebration dinner that commemorated the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of the Farmington Home for Aged People, now known as the Pierce House.

Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap presented a certificate of achievement to President Elizabeth Marks and Clerk Joseph Holman. Representatives for Sens. Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins and Congressman Michael Michaud read letters of congratulations from their respective offices.

Rep. Janet Mills offered remarks that emphasized the strong community connections in Farmington and the long-standing presence of the Farmington Home for Aged People.

Holman was honored for his 52 years of continuous service on the board. Marks presented a plaque with a photo of the Pierce House to him. Robert Bean offered remarks that emphasized Holman’s assistance in the process of obtaining funding for the addition to the Pierce House, implying that without his help the project might not have happened.

Holman emphasized that the “forgotten” people in making the home such a success over the years were the matrons who left their own homes to move into the mansion to care for the residents. Former matrons Althea Besaw and Harriet Cassidy had been invited but were unable to attend.

Also recognized for service were three generations of the Adams family. Dan “Buzz” Adams serves as a board member. His mother, Beverly “Nikki” Adams, was a board member for 47 years and served as president from 1987 to 1989. Her husband, Tom, was president from 1957 to 1987 and his father, Dan Adams, was president from 1948 to 1951.

Those attending were invited to attend the special centennial celebration on July 4 on the lawns of the Pierce House. Residents will ride in antique automobiles behind a banner declaring, “The Pierce House – 100 Years of Caring.”

The Centennial Brass Band of Portland will provide musical entertainment after the parade at the Pierce House and a bagpiper will perform after the concert. Clowns with balloons will also be in attendance.

All community members are invited to join the residents, staff and trustees for free strawberry shortcake, lemonade and punch provided by Old South Church and hot dogs and punch provided by Henderson Memorial Baptist Church. There will also be cotton candy and cookie decorating. The events will be available following the parade from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The Pierce House is sponsoring a children’s and youth essay contest. Contestants will be former participants in the Pierce House visitation program from Mt. Blue High School, Middle School and Cascade Brook School. Current students from Mallett School will receive certificates of appreciation for community service.

Kate Bean, a trustee, and the Maine Mountain Quilters have created a commemorative quilt to be raffled on July 4. The double-bed quilt is made from turn-of-the-century reproduction fabrics.

The Farmington Home for the Aged was incorporated in 1905. Henrietta B. Whittier Brown was one of the original founders and also served as the first president of the home’s board of trustees.

In 1835, eight years before Brown was born, Robert Goodenow built a mansion on Main Street. The house had several owners over the next several decades and in 1905 it was owned by Fred Crocker of Boston.

In 1907, a prominent Farmington resident bought the home from Crocker and resided there until 1920, when he sold it to the trustees of the Farmington Home for the Aged. The home was later renamed for Pierce in honor of his many contributions to the community.

The first resident of the home moved into the mansion in 1926.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.