CLEVELAND (AP) – In a matter of seconds, Trent Dilfer passed a career milestone and turned another dull Sunday into a rare, exciting home win for the Cleveland Browns.

Dilfer connected with wide receiver Antonio Bryant for two touchdowns in a 38-second span late in the fourth quarter as Cleveland rallied to a 20-10 victory over the sputtering Chicago Bears.

With the Browns (2-2) trailing 10-6, Dilfer, making his 100th career start, hit Bryant for a 33-yard TD with 3:02 left. The scoring strike was also the 33-year-old Dilfer’s 100th career TD pass, and five plays later, he got No. 101.

After Bears rookie quarterback Kyle Orton’s fumble was recovered by Chris Crocker, Dilfer found Bryant on the same route in the left corner, this time a 28-yard TD that put the Browns up by 10 points with 2:24 remaining.

For nearly 57 minutes, the Browns, who were without rookie wide receiver Braylon Edwards, appeared headed toward another tough loss at home. Cleveland is just 15-35 at Browns Stadium since returning to the league as an expansion team in 1999.

But instead of losing on a last-second field goal, controversial call or idiotic play like Dwayne Rudd’s mindless helmet toss in 2002, the Browns sent their dedicated fans home with smiles.

The Bears (1-3) were undone by costly mistakes and an offense that couldn’t get much going behind Orton, who went 16-for-26 for 117 yards.

Chicago running back Thomas Jones rushed for 137 yards on 24 carries, but left midway through the fourth quarter with an injured right knee.

Dilfer, who had two interceptions in the first half, finished 22-for-34 for 218 yards.

Edwards remained hospitalized after surgery on Saturday to treat an infection in his right arm. The No. 3 overall draft pick practiced all week, but his arm became swollen following the club’s walkthrough and he was admitted to the Cleveland Clinic.

Orton’s 8-yard TD pass to Marc Edwards gave the Bears a 10-6 lead in the third quarter.

Jones ripped off 25- and 23-yard runs and accounted for 73 yards rushing on Chicago’s 12-play, 93-yard scoring drive that was capped by Orton dropping a soft pass to a wide-open Edwards, and the former Brown went in untouched.

Phil Dawson’s 44-yard field goal with 37 seconds left in the second quarter gave Cleveland a 6-3 halftime lead, concluding 30 minutes of offensive ineptitude by both teams.

One of the biggest ovations of the afternoon came during a Pee Wee football game at half when one of the youngsters broke free on a long scoring run.

Chicago safety Mike Brown, whose 16-yard interception return for a TD in overtime won the previous matchup between the clubs in 2001, picked off an overthrow by Dilfer and returned it 72 yards to Cleveland’s 9 in the second quarter.

But the Bears’ offense went in reverse. Orton’s apparent TD pass to Jones was called back by a face-mask penalty, and after a sack by Alvin McKinley, rookie Rob Gould kicked a 44-yard field goal to tie it at 3.

With kicker Doug Brien sidelined with a back injury sustained running sprints, the Bears signed Gould on Saturday.

A fumble by Bears rookie wide receiver Mark Bradley, who got drilled by cornerback Gary Baxter after a catch, led to Dawson’s 19-yard field goal that gave Cleveland a 3-0 lead in the first quarter.

AP-ES-10-09-05 1623EDT

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.