LEWISTON – Every time the Mt. Blue defense thought it had plugged a hole created by the the Lewiston offense, the Blue Devils managed to bore another.

Zach Sheltra erupted for seven goals and Jon Fournier and Travis LeBrun added five each as Lewiston ran over Mt. Blue 22-8 in a Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference lacrosse game at Don Roux Field on Thursday.

“We were having trouble playing together as a whole offensive lineup before today,” said LeBrun, “but today the passes weren’t being dropped, everything was clicking. It was good.”

The Blue Devils’ speed, led by the three attacks as well as Matt Manley, Zack Blauvelt and Josh Rivet, was too much for Mt. Blue to handle as they continuously moved and cut across the field almost at will.

“They’re very quick,” said Mt. Blue coach Mark Cyr. “It’s hard to keep track of all of those white shirts going all over the place, and our midfielders were losing their men, and it was an unsettled situation every time that happened.”

The win, the Blue Devils’ second of the season in four tries, was also the first for new goaltender Nate Rivet. The sophomore, normally a midfielder, replaced John Collette, who is out for the season with a thumb injury.

“Ground balls were tough,” said Rivet. “All of their shots were ground balls or low, but our defense did a phenomenal job.”

“He only made two saves, but he picked up a lot of ground balls,” said Lewiston coach Tom Fournier. “He’s a good athlete and he’s going to make it easier to clear, because he’s hard to cover.”

Meanwhile, on offense, the Blue Devils (2-2) struck early and often.

Mt. Blue attack Colin Gillespie scored the Cougars’ (0-4) only goal of the opening quarter on the team’s only shot in the frame just 2:56 in to stake the visitors to a 1-0 lead – that lasted less than a minute and a half.

LeBrun, Sheltra and Fournier combined for five goals over a 3:03 span to give the Blue Devils a commanding 5-1 lead. They extended that lead to 8-1 by the end of the first quarter.

In the second, a three-minute penalty to LeBrun for an illegal stick followed by another minor infraction yielded three consecutive Mt. Blue goals, cutting the deficit to 8-4. At the half, the host Blue Devils led 11-5.

“We did some good things on that man-up situation,” said Cyr, “but we let down in that third quarter coming out of the halftime.”

With renewed purpose, Lewiston racked up nine goals on 15 shots in the third quarter while Rivet yielded just one on three shots to put the game out of reach.

“Usually we’re a better defensive team than an offensive team,” said Cyr, “but tonight, that one quarter our defense just fell asleep.”

The teams traded goals in the final quarter to cap the scoring.