PARIS – Oxford County Chief Deputy James Davis was ordered Monday morning to stay away from his former girlfriend and not to possess any firearms for the next three months, according to a court document.

Davis is on paid administrative leave from his job pending an investigation by the state Attorney General’s Office, Sheriff Lloyd “Skip” Herrick said Monday night.

Eleventh District Court Judge John McElwee granted the request of Marilee Cooper, 48, of Oxford for a 90-day order to protect her from abuse. She filed a complaint July 17, stating the 59-year-old Davis had harassed her from January to July this year after she ended her relationship with him.

In her two-page complaint, she stated she had received unwanted letters from Davis, as well as phone calls at her home on Poland Road, her workplace at the Oxford Post Office and on her cell phone.

Davis said by phone Monday night that he and Cooper had been together for more than eight years during which time he had her name put on the deed to his house. Less than a year ago, he said, he left there, and last spring he bought a new modular home for his mother, who lives next door to his former house, and moved into the two-family house with her.

Besides the firearms prohibition, Monday’s order also bars Davis from having contact with Cooper, infringing on her liberty in any way, threatening, harassing, disturbing or molesting her, or entering her home. It also prohibits him from repeatedly and without reasonable cause following her and being in the vicinity of her home or place of employment.

Asked Monday night if that meant he had to move from his home next to hers or have his post office box at Oxford changed, Davis said that’s not how he reads the order.

His attorney, Edward L. Dilworth III, and Cooper’s attorney, Valerie Stanfill reached agreement on the order outside the courtroom Monday, and no testimony was given, Davis said.

He didn’t attend the proceeding, he said.

A small group of friends and co-workers were present to support Cooper. Attempts to reach her for comment were unsuccessful Monday.

Herrick said Monday night that he placed Davis on leave with pay July 20 while the state Attorney General’s Office investigates whether Davis violated any department policies or procedures or engaged in any criminal activity as they relate to the complaint by Cooper.

“I don’t know how that time frame is going to coincide” with the 90-day order, he said, so it is unknown how long Davis will be away from his job.

Meanwhile, his duties are being covered by the sheriff and Lts. Christopher Wainwright and Hart Daley, Herrick said.

“We’re not dropping the ball,” he said. “We’re functioning the best we can with the absence of the chief deputy.”

Davis was named chief deputy by Herrick in 1992 after he retired from the Maine Warden Service.

The temporary order will be reviewed at 8:30 a.m. Oct. 24 at the Paris court. At that time, Davis and his attorney may move to dissolve the order, or a final hearing will be held, the order states.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.