NEW YORK (AP) – A disc jockey on a popular hip-hop radio station was shot at least 13 times outside an apartment building Thursday, police said.

Carl Blaze, whose real name is Carlos Rivera, was in critical condition at a Harlem hospital, police said.

Blaze, who works for Power 105.1 FM, had been wearing a white metal diamond chain with the initials “CB” when he was shot at about 4:30 a.m. The chain was missing when police arrived, investigators said.

Police were searching for suspects in the shooting.

Blaze, 30, broadcasts live from Club T in Manhattan on Fridays from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. and on Saturdays from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. and midnight to 2 a.m. According to Power 105’s Web site, Blaze has more than 2 million listeners.

230 runners get parasite at meet

WATERFORD, Conn. (AP) – The state is looking into why more than 230 New England college students developed a skin rash after an October cross country meet at Harkness Memorial State Park.

Officials have not completed their investigation, but coaches believe the culprit may have been about three feet of standing water left on part of the course by heavy rains and high tide.

The waterfront park attracts many migrating birds in the fall, and their fecal matter generates the parasite thought to be responsible for the rash, which can cause oozing and scabs and lead to secondary infections. It is easily treatable and doesn’t leave scars.

Meaghan Seelhaus, a Connecticut College senior, said that about a week after the race her legs were covered with red, itchy bumps.

“It’s all cleared up now,” she said. “All I have left is some scars. But there were boils and oozing. It was really itchy and painful. It was pretty terrible.”

She and dozens of other afflicted students posted comments about their experience on the networking Web site Facebook under the heading “Victims of the NESCAC (New England Small College Athletic Conference) Rash.”

Runners from Bates, Bowdoin and Colby participated in the meet. Bates athletes were affected by the rash, according to the team’s Web site.

Ned Bishop, women’s cross country coach at Connecticut College, said the water wasn’t on the course when it was set the morning of the race.

About 60 percent of the 380 runners who participated got the rash, thought to be “swimmer’s itch” or “clam digger’s itch” – cercarial dermatitis or schistosomiasis – caused by a parasite that can penetrate the skin.

Bishop said the team has had no similar problems during four years of using Harkness for races and 15 years of practicing there.

Drop in bucket? Could be $14,000

BARRE, Vt. (AP) – With the drop of a single coin into a Salvation Army holiday collection kettle, the group may have been enriched by as much as $14,000.

The donated 1908 Indian head coin has a face value of $2.50, said Capt. Louis Patrick. It’s worth at least at $250 and possibly as much as $14,000, according to a preliminary analysis.

“I was shocked,” Patrick said. “I’ve heard of this happening in other places, but I’ve never actually seen it.”

The coin was enclosed in a protective plastic case.

“It was an incredibly generous thing to do,” Patrick said. “We are very appreciative.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.