PORTLAND – Mountain Valley’s march on Portland continued Friday night, and the Falcons are leaving some diminished and demoralized Western Maine Conference teams in their wake.

The defending Western Class B champions held seventh-seeded Cape Elizabeth to two field goals over a span equivalent to almost half of the game and cruised to a 62-33 win Friday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

The Falcons advanced to tonight’s regional final (9 p.m., Cumberland County Civic Center) against top-seeded Greely (19-1), which steamrolled over Falmouth in Friday night’s other semi, 63-40.

Justin Staires led the Falcons (17-3) with 20 points and five assists. Andy Shorey added 12 points and 13 rebounds, and Owen Jones chipped in with 10 points and nine rebounds. Alex Bowe paced Cape (12-9) with 10 points.

Mountain Valley has bulldozed its first two opponents in the tournament by an average of 28.5 points per game. Freeport was its first victim in the quarterfinals, but at least that Falcon team was able to stick around for a half.

“It’s not really this easy. It’s just the way we play together,” said Staires. “We had those three losses, and we all just vowed to each other that it wasn’t going to happen again.”

Mountain Valley trailed 6-4 midway through the first quarter, then outscored Cape, 26-8, over the final 12 minutes once it got comfortable with the Capers’ 1-2-2 zone.

“Our goal was to try to stop Shorey, keep it out of his hands, and the kids did do a good job of that,” said Cape Elizabeth coach Jim Ray. “They eventually hit a couple, and they loosened up. We’re going down and not scoring on offense, they come down and hit a couple and they start to get into a groove.”

“We missed some shots early, and then we had to try to break that zone down a a little bit,” said Mountain Valley coach Dave Gerrish. “We tried to get some back-screens, and once we started to get the ball inside, I thought our game started to flow a little better.”

The Falcons certainly did get into the flow in the second quarter, making their first four shots to spark a 19-1 run. Shorey and D.J. Gerrish popped 3-pointers, and Shorey rebounded a missed attempt from beyond the arc and fed Lyons under the hoop to make it 23-9 midway through the period. Matt Laubauskas added a bucket, Staires drilled a trey and Jones converted a putback to complete the run.

Cape, meanwhile, was pretty much one-and-done at its end of the floor. Austin Brown scored the Capers first field goal of the quarter with 44 seconds left in the half. Alex Bowe added a 3 for Cape, which still trailed 30-14 at the half.

Even though the Falcons’ intensity seemed to wane coming out of the locker room for the second half, they still went on a 14-1 run. They made six of their nine field-goal attempts in the quarter, while Cape went the first seven minutes without a field goal before Shaine Burks’ hoop made it 44-17.

“Going in, we knew 3 (Will Hall) and 15 ( Brown) could shoot the ball well from the outside and 22 (Burks) was their leading scorer, so we thought if we could contain him from 15 feet in and then get out on their shooters we’d have a chance,” Gerrish said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.