BRIDGTON – The Federal Emergency Management Agency will open a temporary claims office for residents of York and Cumberland counties whose property sustained damage during the Patriots’ Day storm.

The office will be open at the Bridgton Town Hall, 1 Chase Common, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today and Saturday.

People should register with FEMA and obtain a claims number in advance of going to the temporary claims office by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362). People with a speech or hearing impairment may call TTY 800-462-7585.

“Mainers helped us learn where assistance was needed by reporting damage locally. But residents must now contact FEMA to receive the full complement of disaster aid,” Ginnie Ricker, state coordinating officer for the Maine Emergency Management Agency, said in a prepared statement.

When calling to apply or registering online have the following information available:

• The address of the damaged dwelling;

• An address and phone number where you can be reached;

• Your Social Security number;

• Your insurance company or agent and your policy number;

• Bank account information if you wish to receive your assistance via direct deposit.

“The registration process is quite simple and should take no more than 30 minutes,” according to Federal Coordinating Officer Albie Lewis of FEMA. “Then, in about three to five days, an inspector will visit your home to document the damages. There is no charge for this inspection and inspectors will always carry identification. Don’t hesitate to ask if you are unsure.”

FEMA disaster assistance covers basic needs only and will not normally compensate victims for their entire loss. For those with insurance, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered by insurance.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, an applicant must complete an SBA loan application to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

For more information online go to: or

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.