WISCASSET (AP) – A week after killing a high school classmate, a 20-year-old man repeatedly stabbed his father after they argued in their Newcastle home, according to a state police affidavit made public Thursday.

John A. Okie’s father was moaning in the background on a phone call the son had with his mother in which he reported that they’d fought, the affidavit said. Afterward, he picked up his mother from work and they returned home to find him dead, it said.

On Thursday, Okie appeared to make no eye contact with his mother as he made his initial appearance on a charge of murdering his 59-year-old father, John S. Okie.

Justice Joseph Jabar ordered him held without bail pending a Sept. 7 hearing at which prosecutors will seek to have him remain jailed until trial.

In the back of the courtroom were two aunts and an uncle, along with his mother, Karen Okie. Afterward, his mother and her sister left Lincoln County Superior Court with their arms around each other without commenting to reporters.

Defense lawyer Leonard Sharon said the family supports the younger Okie.

“The whole family is very much behind Johnny and has rallied behind the family,” Sharon told reporters outside of the courthouse.

The same day his father’s body was found, Okie was charged with murdering Alexandra Mills, 19, whose body was found a week earlier in her home in Wayne. Mills and Okie were former classmates at Kents Hill School in Readfield.

Okie was arrested the day before being charged with Mills’ murder on a traffic stop in which he was charged with speeding, transportation of liquor and drugs by a minor, drinking in a motor vehicle and operating beyond license restriction.

He told police that he spent the next day at home, leaving only to get a newspaper in Boothbay, and then sleeping for several hours.

He said he got into an argument when his father arrived home from the family business, Sheepscot River Pottery, the affidavit said.

Karen Okie’s friend, Jeffrey Sandner, told detectives that she called to ask for a ride home from the pottery store because her son and husband had been fighting, and Karen said she’d heard her husband moaning in the background while talking to her son on the phone.

Instead, John A. Okie drove to Sheepscot River Pottery to get his mother after the argument, and they returned together to find John S. Okie in a pool of blood.

John A. Okie told detectives that the clothes he was wearing were the same ones he’d had on all day, but investigators found a plastic bag containing bloody clothes as well as a knife. DNA evidence from both father and son were found were found on the knife as well as on the clothes.

Few details have been released so far in the July 10 death of Mills at her home in Wayne. The judge impounded the state police affidavits in that case and they remained sealed Thursday afternoon in Kennebec County Superior Court.

The younger Okie has a criminal record that includes assault, eluding an officer, criminal trespass and speeding, as well as a history of mental illness.

Okie’s mother told police in the past that her son hallucinated, had delusions and was under psychiatric care. On Thursday, Sharon said Okie’s psychological problems and mental state at the time of the incident would be explored.

Sandner, the family friend, said the younger Okie had problems but he didn’t think he was capable of killing anyone.

“He was a good kid,” said Sandner, who’d watched him grow up. “Even reading the evidence I have a hard time believing it.”

AP-ES-07-26-07 1713EDT

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.