WALES – Owen Campbell had waited all game for a chance to score. When he finally got his opportunity, he made the most of it.

The talented center-halfback blistered a shot from 30 yards out with 15:49 remaining to lift Maine Central Institute to a 3-2 win over Oak Hill in a KVAC Class B boys’ soccer match Tuesday.

Campbell helped the Huskies (1-1) keep the ball on the Oak Hill side of the field for much of the second half. After settling a loose ball, he dribbled ahead for 10 yards before kicking a shoulder-high liner into the net past Oak Hill keeper Travis Dyer (five saves).

“I saw the goalie over in the middle (of the cage) and I just kicked it to the left side,” said Campbell. “I was trying to score all game long.”

The game began with sloppy defense on both sides as the first four goals were scored in the opening 10 minutes.

The Huskies opened the scoring in the first minute of the match. Jacob Hunt slipped past the Raider back line and Ben Badeen found him open. Hunt collected the pass in the crease area and touched it past Dyer. That lead didn’t last long as the Raiders knocked home a pair of goals in the next two minutes.

Travis Adams and Davy Hanlon played a little two-man game down the left side of the field before Adams slid the ball over to Hanlon for the equalizer. Seconds later, Hanlon’s throw-in bounded high across the crease area. When MCI keeper Casey Edgerton couldn’t control the ball, Tom Edgecomb rushed in from the weak side and tapped it home.

“Our defenders weren’t communicating,” said MCI coach Scott Varney. “They had no idea who they were marking because of the lack of communication. We talked about it at halftime and then they settled down.”

MCI tied the match a few minutes later. Badeen’s crossing pass found a wide-open Hunt in front for an easy score.

For most of the second half, MCI controlled the field until the final minutes.

“We played well in the first half,” said Oak Hill coach Joe Fletcher. “We got a couple of quick goals, but then we fell apart. I think it’s the lack of experience, and we don’t have the depth. We got tired in the first half because we were chasing the ball instead of controlling it.”

The Raiders (0-2) had a pair of scoring chances late, but Edgecomb’s booming kick from 35 yards out clanged off the left post. Moments later, a ball rolled along the MCI goal line, but the Raiders couldn’t get to it in time.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.