WOODSTOCK – A fire that destroyed a couple’s home on Route 26 Friday night has been ruled accidental, fire Chief Geffrey Inman said Wednesday night.

Exactly how and where flames erupted in Robert and Patty Springer’s one-story home at 1099 Main St. is undetermined, the chief said. The Office of the State Fire Marshal investigated.

Robert Springer was asleep when the fire started about 8:20 p.m., but his dog woke him by licking his face and he and his pets escaped unharmed.

Patty Springer was away at the time and returned later to find the home burned to the ground.

About three dozen firefighters from four departments fought the blaze, saving a nearby garage, Inman said.

The property was insured.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.