MEXICO – Patrons and staff at Dick’s Restaurant on Main Street were evacuated Saturday afternoon after a propane leak started a grease fire in a deep frier, according to Deputy Fire Chief Richard Jones.

However, before Mexico and Rumford firefighters arrived at the restaurant, the fire was put out by the restaurant’s built-in grill and deep frier extinguishing system. The propane was also turned off.

There were no injuries in the incident, which happened at about 4 p.m.

“There was no damage, but they will be closed for cleanup from grease from the Frialator and powder from the extinguishing system,” Jones said.

A waitress said the restaurant will be closed today, but reopened for business at the start of its regular work week on Tuesday morning.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.