WAUSAU, Wis. (AP) – A kindergartner hospitalized in critical condition after being exposed to a high level of chlorine at a swimming pool was upgraded to fair condition Saturday, a hospital official said.

A group of more than 40 kindergartners from Lincoln Elementary had difficulty breathing Friday while they were in a swimming pool learning about water safety, said Mary Ellen Marnholtz, spokeswoman for the Wausau School District in northern Wisconsin. The pool was at a nursing home run by North Central Health Care in Wausau.

Thirty-eight students and two adults were taken to hospitals but most were released within about two hours, officials said. However, one boy was taken to a pediatric intensive care unit at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Marshfield.

A nursing supervisor at St. Joseph’s Hospital, who wouldn’t give her name, said the boy’s condition had improved Saturday.

The chlorine problem was caused by a pump malfunction, said Gary Bezucha, chief executive of North Central Health Care.

AP-ES-03-01-08 1621EST


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.