BATH (AP) – Maine fire marshal investigators believe the victim of a fatal apartment fire in Bath unwittingly caused the blaze by smoking while using oxygen.

Steve McCausland of the Maine Public Safety Department says the victim is believed to be 68-year-old Joseph Richards, who lived in the apartment.

McCausland says the fire broke out shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday.

Neighbors say they heard explosions before and during the fire, apparently from oxygen tanks that firefighters later found inside.

AP-ES-06-09-08 0928EDT


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.