Is a physician, called to a far part of the city, on a case where life and death depend on the speed with which he reaches his patient, justified in running his automobile in excess of a speed limit of 8 miles an hour?

That was the most interesting question which came up when Dr. W.H. Hawkins of Pine Street, Lewiston’s city physician and fire surgeon, was summonsed before the Auburn municipal court Monday morning and sentenced to pay costs of court for driving his machine in excess of the speed limit.

Dr. Hawkins was called by telephone at 6:30 Sunday night to come as soon as he could to attend his nephew. The little boy had swallowed a button and was choking to death slowly. He was black in the face when the doctor arrived, and only his timely arrival saved the child’s life. Monday morning he was summonsed to appear before the court. The law gives no leeway. He pleaded nolo contendre and was fined the costs.

50 years ago, 1958

A pony ridden into New Auburn yesterday afternoon by Tommy Evans of the Pownal Road romped around the South Main Street section for a time until residents of the area finally caught up with it.

The pony had been left at the Melba Cook home at 290 South Main St., but slipped its rope and took off across lawns. Young Tommy had ridden his pony into town so that he could go to a barber shop. He left the pony at the Cook home and continued on foot.

25 years ago, 1983

The spring on Hazel Street in Auburn, which was declared unfit to drink by health authorities last week, will soon be flowing pure and clear, thanks to a group of neighbors who took matters into their own hands.

The spring was declared unfit last week after a test by state officials found unacceptably high levels of bacteria in the water. Because the spring is located on the property of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Michaud of 9 Hazel St., city workers could not do any work on the property.

So it was left to several of the Michaud’s neighbors to save the spring. The object was to dig up the heavily scaled cast-iron pipe and replace it. Although a little cosmetic work remains to be done, Mrs. Michaud said one of the neighbors told her the water is already coming out clear. She said the city planned to take water samples Tuesday. “We’re awfully anxious for that sign to come down.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.