GORHAM (AP) – Fire officials in Gorham say a weekend fire that heavily damaged a large home apparently started when a spark or a log from an open fireplace ignited a carpet and sent flames racing along the walls.

One firefighter suffered minor injuries when he fell from the first floor to the basement while battling the two-alarm fire Saturday at the home on Fort Hill Road.

Deputy Fire Chief Ken Fickett said the family living in the house had left about two hours before the blaze was spotted by a passing motorist on Route 114.

Fickett estimates damage at around $500,000.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.