FARMINGTON — Forty residents were evacuated from an apartment building at Walton Thompson Court early Thursday morning after a fire started in a first floor apartment.

Resident Dan Jackson fell asleep in a stuffed chair while smoking a cigarette, said Chief Terry Bell of Farmington Fire and Rescue. He awoke and tried unsuccessfully to put the fire out himself, Bell said.

Jackson, who was also on oxygen, was transported to Franklin Memorial Hospital by NorthStar Ambulance for smoke inhalation as were several other residents, he said. Jackson remained a patient at FMH as of Thursday afternoon, according to a hospital representative.

Firefighters were called to the elderly housing complex at 12:22 a.m. Thursday. With the help of Farmington Police Department officers, crews went door to door checking for residents and evacuating them to the parking lot. They remained outside in the cooler evening temperatures for a couple of hours, he said.

A school bus from Mt. Blue Regional School District was brought to the scene for temporary shelter and emergency personnel were able to account for all residents, he said.

Some apartment dwellers were not allowed back in their homes, he said. A couple people had to be placed in local motels while others either went with relatives or doubled up with neighbors.

Wilton and Temple Fire Departments also provided help at the scene, Bell said.

[email protected]

Farmington Fire and Rescue responded to a first-floor apartment fire at Hazel Thompson Court in Farmington early Thursday morning. 

Farmington Fire and Rescue responded to an early morning fire at the Walton Thompson Court in Farmington on Thursday.

Residents at Hazel Thompson Court in Farmington were evacuated to parking lots early Thursday morning after a fire broke out in a first floor apartment.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.