NEW PORTLAND — An old family farmhouse built at the turn of the century was destroyed by flames Tuesday afternoon on a remote road in New Portland.

“They were just using the house for more or less storage and to take showers,” said New Portland Asst. Fire Chief Brian Rundlett.

Rundlett said that the fire at 228 Millay Hill Road was discovered about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday by Renee Emory, whose husband, Billy, owns the home. He said that the structure was fully engulfed in flames by the time crews arrived and was starting to spread to a nearby barn, but crews were able to save the barn.

Firefighters from New Portland were joined by crews from Kingfield, New Vineyard, Madison and North Anson in their effort to battle the blaze, which was made more difficult by the wooden structure’s metal roof. In all, Rundlett said that more than 50 firefighters fought the fire for nearly five hours before clearing the scene Tuesday evening.

Rundlett said that the couple was staying at a camp about one mile up the road from the two-story farmhouse, which has been in Billy Emory’s family for generations. He said that fire is believed to have started in the area of a wood stove on one side of the home. There is no further investigation into the blaze.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.