AUBURN — A Lisbon man accused of ramming two cruisers with a dump truck is expected to go to trial later this month.

Bartolo Ford, 49, was shot by police during the 2008 incident, police said.

Ford had been seeking to have five unrelated charges of receiving stolen property removed from his upcoming trial and filed as a separate case.

A prosecutor said Monday that he didn’t object to Ford’s motion to sever those charges.

Ford was indicted by an Androscoggin County grand jury on one count of aggravated attempted murder, two counts of aggravated criminal mischief, two counts of reckless conduct, one count of eluding an officer and one count of theft by unauthorized taking.

Police said Ford was spotted driving a truck filled with concrete tiles and other items allegedly stolen from a Minot Avenue business.

When police tried to stop Ford’s truck, he sped away on Hotel Road, police said. At one point during the chase that ensued, Ford rammed a police cruiser with the one-ton dump truck he was driving, police said. The officer driving that cruiser fired at the truck and struck Ford at least once, police said. He later rammed a second cruiser, continuing up Route 122, then onto Route 26, according to police in court records.

The chase ended in Poland where his truck slammed into two parked cars and he fled on foot. He gave himself up after police with tracking dogs combed the woods for him for hours, police said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.