BUCKFIELD — A dog-grooming business burned to the ground early Wednesday morning on Bear Pond Road.

No one was injured in the blaze at Marie’s Pet Retreat, which provided boarding for animals, said Assistant Chief David Knox of the Buckfield Fire Department.

The building at 464 Bear Pond Road was owned by Marie McCafferty, Knox said. It was not insured. He said the flames didn’t spread beyond the building, which he estimated was about 30 by 40 feet.

Knox said the building was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at around 12:30 a.m. He said it was probable that either the wood stove or the propane heating unit inside started the fire. He said both had been running.

“When we arrived, everything was falling down,” Knox said. “Everything was just in a pile at that point.”

Knox said Buckfield Rescue and firefighters from Paris, Sumner, Turner and Hebron responded to the fire. He said the fire was on the Turner town line and the Turner Fire Department arrived first.

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under:

Daily Headlines

  • Sign up and get the top stories to begin the day delivered to your inbox at 6 a.m.