A mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain that spread across Maine on Tuesday could leave behind as much as 8 inches of snow before it moves out Wednesday, National Weather Service meteorologist Steve Capriola said.

The storm slicked roads and sent cars sliding across the region.

A Carthage man was seriously injured Tuesday afternoon when he lost control of a pickup truck on Route 2 in Dixfield and it slid sideways into an oncoming commercial truck, police said.

Nathan Conley, 23, suffered head and leg injuries in the 3:15 p.m. accident and was taken to a Lewiston hospital, Dixfield police officer Anne Simmons-Edmunds said. His condition was described as stable by a nursing supervisor at Central Maine Medical Center on Tuesday night.

Two others involved in the accident, loggers Alan Linkletter, 39, of Athens, and his passenger, Calvin Cates, 51, of Moscow, suffered minor injuries and declined to go to the hospital. They were in a 1-ton Ford F-350 commercial truck owned by Linkletter and Sons Inc. of Athens.

Loggers Linkletter and Cates said they were returning to Athens with fellow crewmen in other company trucks during a snowstorm when the accident occurred. It was about a half-mile west of Common Road and right before a series of S-turns, which Conley was coming out of.

“He was sideways just as we were coming to him,” said Linkletter, who tried to avoid the collision by steering into the eastbound emergency lane. “We had enough time to say, ‘Oh, (expletive),’ and then we hit hard.”

The impact crushed the passenger side of the black pickup and mangled the front end of the commercial truck.

“I’m glad he didn’t have a passenger, because they would have been killed,” Linkletter said.

Simmons-Edmunds said road conditions were “sloppy, wet and slippery.”

She said Conley was headed to work at Sunday River Ski Resort in Newry.

In Lewiston, police announced a parking ban for all streets from 4 p.m. Tuesday to 6 a.m. Wednesday to facilitate plowing and to maintain emergency access.

“We are asking that all drivers cooperate with the parking ban,” Chief Michael Bussiere said in a statement. “Vehicles parked in violation of this ban will be subject to towing at the owners’ expense.”

The city of Auburn issued a parking ban from 3 p.m. Tuesday through 8 a.m. Wednesday, Deputy Chief Jason Moen of the Auburn Police Department said in a statement.

A spokesman for Central Maine Power Co. said Tuesday night that 169 customers lost power from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. By 8:45 p.m., only one — in Skowhegan — was waiting for electricity to be restored.

Emergency dispatchers in Androscoggin, Franklin, Oxford and Cumberland counties Tuesday night reported no serious accidents or incidents from the storm, other than the Dixfield crash.

Several people involved in accidents in Auburn were hospitalized, but, none of the injuries appeared serious, said Lieutenant Anthony Harrington of the Auburn Police Department.

Lewiston and Auburn schools were in session Tuesday.

“A lot of schools closed half-way through the day, but Lewiston has a policy that if we start school, we finish it,” Lewiston Superintendent Bill Webster said Tuesday evening, noting that it is safer to keep kids at school than to send them to potentially locked and empty homes in the middle of the day while parents are at work.

Webster was unsure Tuesday night whether school would be canceled Wednesday. “I’m not concerned about accumulation, but I am concerned about ice,” he said. “We want as safe conditions as possible if we’re going to have school.”

Rain was reported in Lewiston-Auburn and Portland as of 9 p.m. Tuesday.

A spokeswoman at the Maine Department of Transportation said Tuesday night that plows were out, roads were snow-covered in the Augusta area and there were no major trouble spots. She said snow totals ranged from 5 to 7 inches statewide as of 9 p.m.

Up to 6 inches of snow fell across much of New Hampshire before turning to freezing rain late Tuesday afternoon, just in time for the evening commute.

By early evening, the state’s largest utility, Public Service Company of New Hampshire, was reporting only about 50 customers without power, all in Bedford.

New Hampshire could get up to 10 inches of heavy snow, the National Weather Service said. The most serious hours of the storm were expected to hit there late Tuesday and into Wednesday.

Police in central Massachusetts were investigating whether the storm played a part in a crash that killed two Rhode Island men near a tiny town named Douglas. The snow had just started to fall when the men’s car hit a tractor-trailer, police said.

The eastern half of New York was expected to get up to 8 inches of snow, along with freezing rain and sleet. Coastal New Hampshire was bracing for power outages as ice was expected to build up on power lines later Tuesday.

The storm is expected to leave more snow, sleet, and rain Wednesday afternoon before ending, National Weather Service meteorologist Capriola said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: