PARIS — A local restaurant is expected to reopen some time this week after a Sunday-morning fire damaged the building.

Chief Brad Frost of the Paris Fire Department said that the blaze broke out at about 8:22 a.m. Sunday at Shaner’s Restaurant on Main Street. The popular eatery was open at the time, but Frost said that no patrons were injured as a result of the fire.

Frost said that the restaurant’s owner, Jack Shaner, was using a propane torch to kill weeds on the outside of the building when the fire started. He said it appears that sparks from the torch got underneath the clapboard and inside the walls of the wood-framed structure.

Frost said that the blaze never got into the dining area, but did damage the outside of the structure. The fire also spread to a rear room inside where the building’s oil tanks are stored, but a sprinkler system doused the flames before the fire spread.

About 25 firefighters from Paris, Norway and Oxford responded to the scene. Frost said that Shaner’s Restaurant will likely reopen this week following an inspection. The State Fire Marshal’s Office will be on the scene Monday to review the blaze.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.