FARMINGTON — Franklin Savings Bank’s Community Development Foundation has awarded $33,000 college scholarships to 12 local students. The scholarships are $3,000 each, although one school, Madison, opted to split the amount between two students. The 2011 Franklin Scholars are as follows.

Mt. Blue High School: Michaela M. Yeaton, of Farmington, daughter of Delana Yeaton and the late Steven Yeaton, plans to major in business economics at the University of Maine at Farmington; Bethany Frazier, of Industry, daughter of Clifford Frazier and Linda Wyman, plans to major in business at St. Joseph’s College.

Skowhegan High School: Emily A. Pineo, of Norridgewock, daughter of Todd and Laura Pineo, plans to major in marketing at the New England School of Communications.

Madison Area Memorial High School: Lindsey Kandiko, of Madison, daughter of Blaise and Lynn Kandiko, plans to major in outdoor recreation and business administration at UMF; Christina Richardson, of Madison, daughter of Ronald and Nicole Richardson, plans to major in accounting at the University of Maine at Orono.

Rangeley Lakes Regional School: Regan Sargent, of Rangeley, plans to major in a medical field at the University of New England.

Mt. Abram High School: Joseph Cousineau, of Kingfield, plans to major in psychology and business at UMF.

Livermore Falls High School: Alexandra Niedner, of Livermore, daughter of Kirk and Lorna Niedner, plans to major in business management at Plymouth State University.

Jay High School: Cassandra Plante, of Jay, daughter of Kelly and Tammy Plante, plans to major in computer science at the University of Maine at Farmington.

Mountain Valley High School: Kera Marie Miller, of Rumford, daughter of Pamela and Barry Miller, plans to major in marketing and another subject at the University of Maine at Orono.

Dirigo High School: Jeffrey Colpitts, of Peru, son of Richard and Marilee Colpitts, plans to major in international business and business administration at UMO.

Carrabec High School: Shelby Atwood, of Embden, daughter of William and Sheryl Atwood,  plans to major in business management at Thomas College.

Scholarships were awarded to students who plan to attend a four-year college with studies concentrating in accounting, finance, marketing, management, computer sciences or other business related courses.

The graduating seniors were selected as Franklin Scholars by their schools based largely on high academic achievement, which represented 70 percent of the criteria for scholarship selection. The remaining 30 percent was based on community citizenship, participation in extracurricular activities and financial need. The bank’s Community Development Foundation grants the scholarships to the schools, which select the student and administer the scholarship.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.