LEWISTON — For the second time Wednesday night, Erica Lemieux had the puck and nothing but open ice and Yarmouth’s goalie in front of her.

Lemieux scored twice on breakaways for Lewiston, the second one coming with 2:58 remaining in the game, to give the Blue Devils a 2-1 win over Yarmouth on Senior Night at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

Lemieux took a pass from Ashley Chase outside the blue line that somehow avoided a Yarmouth defenseman and skated in all alone to beat Yarmouth goalie Hannah Williams to the glove side for the second time on the night.

“It went between her legs and I skated by her, got the puck and shot left bottom corner,” Lemieux said.

The Blue Devils (9-7-1) sank the Clippers, 6-2, a little less than a month ago, but found themselves in a battle after Yarmouth’s short-handed goal tied the game early in the third period.

“We were working on being in position, being disciplined and the girls really played three solid periods,” Yarmouth coach David Neujahr said.

“They were definitely getting on us fast, but we came back. I think all of the backs in particular and the forwards worked hard,” Chase said.

Lewiston held a 10-4 advantage in shots through a scoreless first period. Nearly half of those chances came on a late-period flurry with the top line of Lemieux, Lauryn Cote and Chase crashing the net.

Lemieux finally broke the stalemate after a Yarmouth defender over-skated the puck near center ice. The freshman center collected it with a defender right behind her, skated straight between the circles and beat Williams low to the glove side 8:29 into the second period.

“I was thinking top corner, but it stayed on ice,” Lemieux said.

The Clippers (6-11)  started the third period shorthanded due to a protocol minor for one of their players stepping onto the ice before the 30-second mark before the period started.

They turned the mistake into a positive, though, when Lewiston turned the puck over in its own zone late in the power play

Michelle Robichaud collected high in the slot and threw in a wrister on net that tumbled off a standing Lajoie’s chest, down her left arm and into the net to tie it at 1-1 1:53 into the third.

“I think the mental piece is a big thing for us,” said Chase, one of two seniors on the squad. “We tend to lose ourselves for a while, but we come back and work hard and do the best we can.”

“We’ve been having trouble putting two things together,” said Lewiston coach Ron Dumont, whose team has one game remaining with St. Dom’s. “We’re going to work on that this week, obviously getting ready to host a quarterfinal game and hopefully come out with a better effort.”

filed under: